Pages

Thursday, July 7, 2011

DAY 30: Driving Home.......Toto, we are in Kansas.

I will admit it, as odd as it sounds, I was even looking forward to the drive home. Of course the majestic mountains and enchanting deserts were now in my rear view mirror and etched in my memory, but this was still part of the journey. As i drove out of Colorado into western Kansas everything flattened.....and then flattened some more.







As evening fell around me I drove into the remnants of a summer storm. The Kansas wind was blowing against my jeep and like in a movie, dust off the plains welled up like clouds. Tumbleweeds tumbled by. I pulled my jeep up an exit ramp and stopped it at the top. No one was around me, just me and the howling wind. Stopping the car I got out and looked around. To my right was a rainbow. To my left a lightning storm. And behind me a beautiful sunset. I stood there just circling.















 Knowing how beautiful everything was but also knowing that it would be impossible to capture this moment with a camera or a video or anything like that. It was just a special moment alone with the outdoors.  What a wonderful blessing this moment was. Thanking the Lord for traveling mercies and with a grateful heart for this unique opportunity, I got back in and headed to the hotel for the evening. Tomorrow I would be with my daughter Emily and son in law Matt in Indiana.

Proceeding through Kansas and into Missouri it is just driving. I came upon a huge Wind Farm that seemed to stretch on for mile upon mile. Back home in Western Pennsylvania we have about eight wind turbines along the Pennsylvania Turnpike. Here there must have been five hundred or more.









Stopped once more, this time by a Kansas State Trooper for not staying in my lane. Apologies all around and kind words garnered me another warning. However my luck finally caught up with me as I passed through St Louis. A well hidden speed trap nabbed me doing 74 in a 60.  And at this point I was actually okay with that.....though I really had no alternative but to be okay with it. lol.

Finally getting to Emily and Matt's in time for dinner with them and their friend Suzette. Matt's delicious taco dinner and Emily's creative Icebox Birthday Cake, along with good wine and better company made for a wonderful evening. How fun to catch up and share stories.  Tomorrow I would be home.





0 comments:

Post a Comment